The Ultimate Period Kit For Your Christian Girl!
My Daughter Has Her First Period – What Do I Do?
So, your daughter has her first period.
ok Mom, how are you handling it?
Are you nervous?
No matter what you are feeling right now, it’s ok.
Maybe you have been praying, planning and waiting for this moment to come… Or… you could be completely unprepared or even in denial.
Whatever it is, there is no escaping the fact that your sweet girl is growing into a young woman.
Like all challenges in our parenting journey, you have a choice to make. Are you going to confront the awkward, not-so-fun topics in an intentional, God-honoring way, or are you going to try to ignore them and sweep the tough stuff under the rug?
Walking through your daughters first period with her can actually be a beautiful thing. Yes, I really said that 🙂
I’m here to encourage you to not miss the opportunity!
Here are 5 Tips for Handling Your Daughters First Period in a God-Honoring Way!
1. Breathe, pray, repeat. No matter how prepared you are for this day, it is still an emotional tug on Moms’ heart. God is with you and is waiting to encourage you both in this! Keep praying and asking Him for help. He is there!
2. Go to God’s word to encourage her. Yes, as parents we always bring things back to the His word 🙂 He created our daughters and planned for this day long ago so why not!? And if you have a daughter who is in a reluctant -to – God’s – Word phase, use these verses in step 4! Here are a few ideas for you.
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10
who saved us and called us to[a] a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began. 2 Timothy 1:9
God the Father knew you and chose you long ago, and his Spirit has made you holy. As a result, you have obeyed him and have been cleansed by the blood of Jesus Christ. May God give you more and more grace and peace. 1 Peter 1:2
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
3. Ask questions and listen. How is she feeling, emotionally? physically? Does she have any questions for you? Stay open, light and empathetic yet encouraging. There is so much “negative” discussed in the world about our periods. I fully understand the challenges as I myself have had some severe issues. But instead of focusing on the negative, we have a unique opportunity to build up our daughters and encourage them in it!
4. Get practical. Here’s where we dive into the practical side with our Ultimate Period Kit For Your Christian Girl! This is your chance to give her something both practical and special for her first period. I know there are various ideas out there, but here’s what I did.
Practical Item Ideas:
Flushable Feminine Wipes
Ibuprofen or Pain Meds
A New Book
Bonus: A makeup bag with a few pads, underwear and hand sanitizer to take to school or special events!
Special Item Ideas:
Travel Size Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Body Spray
Unique To Them Ideas:
Nail Polish, File or Nail Kit
Fun Neutral Makeup for them to try (if you allow) & wipes for the redos 🙂
Chocolate (or their favorite sweet treat!)
5. Connect! This is my very favorite part (besides the letter/card/note). Make it special. Be vulnerable and empathize. Share a struggle or something funny you dealt with at her age. Watch a movie or read a book together. Have a little period party celebration with cupcakes or treats! Enjoy just being together, in this new stage.
Most of all Moms, remind her that she can always ask you questions or come to you with struggles – without judgement.
I pray that through these 5 Tips help you feel equipped to Handle Your Daughters First Period in a God-Honoring Way!
Ok, it’s your turn! What have you done or what are you planning on doing for your daughter’s first period? Leave a comment below!