How to Avoid Failing This Year
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy for more info.
I have never kept a New Years resolution for more than a week or two.
Goal setting? I gave up on that years ago.
Friend, can you guess where that has gotten me?
Yup- you’re right, NOWHERE.
How to Fail This Year
I was floating through the years, treating time as a renewable resource. Yes, some of it was fruitful and life certainly was “full” (aka crazy busy) but looking back, it was more of a fog then a memory book which makes my heart sad. The way I was living wasn’t God’s desire for my life. I also know it was not the legacy I want to leave behind. His intention for us isn’t to “do more” in life, but to “do well” with what He has given us. He cares more about who we are becoming than anything.
Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
By His grace, a switch flipped for me in 2016 when I took my first online homemaking course. God’s light shone into the darkness. It showed me all of the wasted time I’ve collected and what I was left with. I saw myself sitting amidst a pile of “hopeful some-days”.
After praying through the mess, one word emerged from the rubble and grabbed my heart. ‘Intentional’
Most of all in this life, I want to be a good steward of what God has so graciously given me. In order to be a good steward, I need to be intentional in all aspects of my life. Knowing this, I went to prayer and to work and created my plan to avoid failing that year. Yep, I was determined yet realistic 🙂
Here are 5 Ways to Avoid Failing This Year
How to Avoid Failing This Year
- Evaluate: What are the main areas of your life? Ask “where do I have influence and responsibility?” For me that looked like: My relationship with God, my health, my marriage, my kids, homeschooling, and my business.
- For each “main area”, pick 1-2 goals to set for the year. If you need a little help in this as I did, the Makeover Your Mornings course by Crystal Paine helped me to really narrow in on my goals by keeping it simple and being specific or join our free 5 day ecourse From Crazy to Calm Biblically – Refocus Your Heart and Conquer Mom Overwhelm.
- Sprinkle in the “me”. It’s super important to know your strengths and weaknesses. I know that my perfectionism procrastination gets me nearly every time! I also realize that time-bound goals are a huge way for me to help combat that. You have to look at what works for you and the season you are in. I didn’t go with a specific pre-set plan, that is great if you can, but I had to craft it to my personality and set myself up to battle against my weak areas that drag me down.
- Add a dash of “us”. It’s also important to take into account what your family’s strengths and weaknesses are and plan accordingly.
- Take action. Intentional: done in a way that is planned or intended. You have to (and need to continue to) focus on stepping out in faith and actually take those small, specific steps that God calls you to along the way
Working Out Your Non-negotiables to Avoid Failing
In addition to reviewing what is built into your framework, you need to determine the steps absolutely needed In order to accomplish your goals. These steps become your non-negotiables. I have these broken down into daily and weekly.
Here is an example:
- Menu plan/Week plan
- Co-op class prep
- Family Day
- Exercise 3 x’s
- Accountability Call
By taking the steps above, you can easily create an “everyday” day schedule for those days that are actually normal! It will also be a great base schedule to work off of to add in those irregular events that we always have thrown in 🙂
And… if the kids are climbing the walls (or each other) and every-other-thing seems to be going wrong, but I actually get in these non-negotiables – then it’s a good, good day!
I’ve put together this FREE printable worksheet to help you walk through the 5 steps to help you build the framework for a more intentional life. Sign up below to get private access to all of our freebies in the Hub!
Want me to walk you through each step, more in depth instead? Ok! Let’s stop Mom overwhelm JOIN FROM CRAZY TO CALM BIBLICALLY A FREE 5 DAY E-COURSE!
AND EVEN BETTER …. If you want to make 2019 your best year yet Join me for A New Year, Your Best Year Yet Online Mom Conference! Over 90+ expert speakers (and yours truly!) will help you navigate all areas of faith, family, and parenting successfully! View the speaker line up here and get early bird pricing of just $15 now!
And if you’re a blogger or business owner grab your copy of “How to Set and Reach Your Faith Blog Goals This Year”. Let us guide you as you navigate faith and business well!
How are you going to avoid failing this year? Let us know in the comments below!
If you are stuck – email me – I’m here to help!
Talk to you soon,
O Lord, You have pleaded the case for my soul;
You have redeemed my life.