This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy for more info.
Did you make a New Year’s resolution?
Have you decided if this year, are you going to survive or thrive?
If we’re honest, the “survive or thrive” can be thrown around a lot, but do we really get it?
Has it sunk in that God wants to give us life and life more abundantly?
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. John 10:10
This started to make sense to me a couple of years ago, but I promise you it wasn’t because of a New Year’s Resolution. In fact, I fail those miserably!
Instead, it actually came from wondering if New Year resolutions are a waste of time. I started looking for some answers online. What are….
- Things to do instead of resolutions
- Non-traditional New Year’s resolutions
- Alternatives to New Year’s resolutions
I wanted to know how to thrive without a New Year’s resolution.
What can you do instead of New Year’s resolutions?
I need to start by explaining I am not a goal setter by nature. In the past, I would set a goal or a New Year’s Resolution only to drop it within a week or two. Not my thing.
But I knew I had to do something different in order to see different results. I decided had to take inventory of my life and make some intentional changes in order to see a difference. Here are some alternatives to New Year’s resolutions:
- I needed to pray. I started praying God would direct the process and help me see why I’ve been struggling so much. Also that He would block my heart from overwhelm (there was a lot to work on) and narrow in on the major things instead.
- Keep it simple. Like I said there were a lot of things I wanted to change, but instead, I focused on the few that would make the most impact.
- Get help. I decided I needed some help in the area… ok a LOT of help 🙂 I had a tiny/nonexistent budget and even less time, but I completed my very first online course to get the help I needed. Make Over Your Mornings by Crystal Paine walked me through areas I never even considered, in an easy yet in-depth way. The course was totally affordable and I started to see my life and schedule in a different light- so worth it! You can read all about my process that I recorded to help YOU get started right now and grab a FREE worksheet I created here.
- Follow through. Ah, the hard part. I had to be intentional to follow through. For me, this happened with the accountability of a dear friend. Without accountability, I would not have gotten so far.
and I saw the change!
How do I keep my New Year’s resolutions?
It wasn’t an easy year – it was actually a very tough one, but I saw the lasting benefits of resetting my priorities, mindset, and schedule.
Did I fail in areas? Yes. But thankfully not nearly as much. More importantly, the work I did before hand made it easier to get back on track when I did fall off.
That year of being intentional impacted my life so much that I was actually looking forward to another “life inventory” or “life review” if you will. I was excited to grow in my key areas and experience more of the abundant life that God offers us!
I pray this year will be different for you. Whether you are a goal setter extraordinaire or can’t ever seem to follow through, there can be a positive lasting change!
No matter what way you go about it, I encourage you just to take the first step. I never would have imagined that by God’s grace and some intentional actions I could make the changes I have in the right direction!
And yes, you can Thrive This Year Without A New Year’s Resolution! Take it from someone who has survived almost all of her life.
⇒ ⇒ If you need some help losing weight and growing your faith, I am a big fan of Faithful Finish Lines by my friends Sara and Becky. Stop by and check out how they can help you with your next (or first step) in making this your best year yet by starting where you are at!
All my best to you in this New Year!!
Talk to you soon,