This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy for more info.
As the season changes, I find myself looking ahead to the upcoming Holidays.
I’m looking at the good and…. um, the hectic.
Before we hit it head on, I believe fall is a great time for a refocus.
My heart has been prompted lately to rethink gratitude.
It’s hard when you’re feeling squeezed, stressed and stuck. When you can’t just seem to get a break.
I know because I’m there.
I also know something else. God is faithful. When I look to Him with a heart of thanksgiving He changes my focus.
My changed focus then shines onto my family, friends, and others around me.
I don’t want to be the grumpy, overwhelmed frustrated Wife and Mom. I don’t want to, but I slip into it so quickly.
Romans 1:121 Says:
For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
This verse is a picture of a clouded mind – which leads to a foolish darkened heart – which I know I don’t want any more of.
I’m pretty tired of being foolish – I am too often!
I invite you instead to look with me at changing our focus…
One intentional action at a time…
Let’s look at Cultivating a Thankful Heart!
Whether you are in a season of frustration or trial or are just getting swept up in the busyness of life.
Let’s take one small step to change our focus and our hearts towards gratitude!
Verses courtesy of Bible Gateway
*Please note: Affiliate links used in any of our posts are personal to us. We must use and love the products we recommend to you, our amazing community! We have to believe that they will serve you in order to recommend them.*
There are many verses in the bible about thankfulness. There are also many verses about guarding our hearts and minds and being careful what we put into them. I believe this one verse gives us 3 reasons to focus on being thankful.
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- It changes our focus and gives us peace. A peace despite circumstances. vs 15 -And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
- It changes our thoughts to God and others instead of self-pity, doubt, and fear. vs 16- Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
- It glorifies God. A simple way to praise Him and give Him glory by giving Him thanks. He created us – gave us life and life eternal and has given us every good gift we have.
So even if its hard, even if you don’t feel like it, will you take these steps with me?
I have seen first hand what this has done in me and my family. I truly want the same for you!
To make it as easy as possible, I’ve created a FREE Mom’s Pockets Bible Study Printables Pack for you to download and get started!
Here are your steps…
- Subscribe to our Encourage Community FREEBIES Hub and print off your Mom’s Pocket’s Bible Study printables pack.
- Hang your printable wall art to be reminded to choose thankfulness.
- Work through the verse on Gratitude each day with your Bible Study Sheet
- Carry the scripture cards with you as a reminder to focus on being thankful!
But Mom, can I challenge you to not stop there?!?!
Dig in even deeper with the Lord using our Cultivate a Thankful Heart Prayer Journal Printables Pack!
- Get the Mom’s Pockets’ Bible Study and Cultivate a Thankful Heart Prayer Journal Printables Pack all in one!
- Pick one prayer prompt per day
- Write in your prayer journal your chosen verse reference, write out the verse, what you are thankful for from the prayer prompt and a prayer of thankfulness.
- Pray and thank God for the answer you came up with, praise Him for the good gifts He has given you! If you don’t have an answer for one, use the opportunity to pray and let Him know, express to Him how you feel about it and ask for His help. He knows and He is listening!
- Get the kids involved! Have the kids choose a leaf to write one thing they are thankful for glue it to your gratitude tree or print copies for each child to have their own!
- Be open– Some like to pray, some like to write, some like to journal. Be open to whatever. If you come up with more than one answer to a prompt, thank Him for all! Be flexible but be open and honest.
- Additional Wall Art to help you focus on gratitude!
- Join our Imperfect Moms Private Facebook community for encouragement and accountability.
Most importantly keep your eyes open.
Look for the many blessings He has given you in your life instead of the lack. I promise you there are reasons to be thankful – they just may look different than someone else’s 🙂
Talk to you soon,
O Lord, You have pleaded the case for my soul;
You have redeemed my life.