Cultivate a Thankful Heart – 30 Prayer Prompts to Express Gratitude + Printables + More!
The temps around here are finally staying under 90! I’m just now starting to catch up where it seems everyone else has been lately… moving into FALL!
With changes in the season, I find myself looking ahead to the upcoming Holidays.
Looking at the good and um, the hectic.
Before we hit it head on, I feel fall is a great time for a refocus. My heart has been prompted lately to rethink gratitude.
It’s hard when you’re feeling squeezed, stressed and stuck. When you can’t just seem to get a break.
I know because I’m there.
I also know something else. God is faithful. When I look to Him with a heart of thanksgiving He changes my focus. My changed focus then shines onto my family, friends and others around me.
I don’t want to be the grumpy, overwhelmed frustrated Wife and Mom. I don’t want to, but I slip into it so quickly.
Romans 1:121 Says:
For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
This verse is a picture of a clouded mind – which leads to a foolish darkened heart – which I know I don’t want any more of.
I’m pretty tired of being foolish – I am too often!
I invite you instead to look with me at changing our focus…
One intentional action at a time…
Let’s look at Cultivating a Thankful Heart!
Whether you are in a season of frustration or trial or are just getting swept up in the busyness of life.
Let’s take one small step to change our focus and our hearts towards gratitude!
Hilarious side note if you’re still with me – my computer just crashed- and I lost this post and all that went with it… still trying to be thankful, let’s press on 🙂
Verses courtesy of Bible Gateway
*Please note: Affiliate links used in any of our posts are personal to us. We must use and love the products we recommend to you, our amazing community! We have to believe that they will serve you in order to recommend them.*
There are many verses in the bible about thankfulness. There are also many verses about guarding our hearts and minds and being careful what we put into them. I believe this one verse gives us 3 reasons to focus on being thankful.
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- It changes our focus and gives us peace. A peace despite circumstances. vs 15 -And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
- It changes our thoughts to God and others instead of self-pity, doubt and fear. vs 16- Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
- It glorifies God. A simple way to praise Him and give Him glory by giving Him thanks. He created us – gave us life and life eternal and has given us every good gift we have.
So even if its hard, even if you don’t feel like it, will you take these steps with me?
I have seen first hand what this can do in me and my family and I truly want the same for you!
To make it as easy as possible, I’ve created a FREE Printables Pack for you to download and get started!
Here are your steps…
- Subscribe to our Encourage Community FREEBIES Hub and print off your printables pack.
- Hang your printable wall art to be reminded to choose thankfulness.
- Pick one prayer prompt per day
- Choose a verse on Gratitude (22 verses included to help get you started)
- Pray thanking God for the answer you came up with, praise Him for the good gifts He has given you! If You don’t have an answer for one, use the opportunity to pray and let Him know, express to Him how you feel about that and ask for His help. He knows and He is listening!
- Write in your prayer journal your chosen verse reference, write out the verse, what you are thankful for from the prayer prompt and a prayer of thankfulness.
- Get the kids involved! Have the kids choose a leaf to write one thing they are thankful for glue it to your gratitude tree or print copies for each child to have their own!
- Be open– Some like to pray, some like to write, some like to journal. Be open to whatever. If you come up with more than one answer to a prompt, thank Him for all! Be flexible but be open and honest.
- Come back and share! Pin this or post on facebook. Comment or email me with how it’s going for you -the good or bad and certainly any prayer requests!
Most importantly keep your eyes open.
Look for the many blessings He has given you in your life instead of the lack. I promise you they are there – they just may look different than someone else’s 🙂
Talk to you soon,
O Lord, You have pleaded the case for my soul;
You have redeemed my life.