I really did ask him three times already. Is he just not listening?
Is it not important to him?
I know he’s busy but he can’t find some way to get that done?
Isn’t setting time aside for us or our children a priority instead of work?
In 17 years of marriage, thoughts like these have run through my mind creating frustration at best and bitterness at worst.
Maybe things are busy, piling up on you and communication with your husband lately isn’t so good. Maybe you’re tired and plain worn out from repeating yourself time and again. Or maybe he doesn’t even realize your upset!
What else are you supposed to do to get through to him?!?
Yes, the answer is prayer my friend
No, I’m not going to leave you with “pray about it”
It’s my heart to walk you through this and give you 5 Prayers to Take Action Without Nagging your Husband!
The Heart of the Matter
First let’s dive into the why. Why should this even matter ??
We are called to build up our husbands and our families, not tear them down.
The wise woman builds her house,
But the foolish pulls it down with her hands. Proverbs 14:1
Oh how often I have been that woman!
We are called –
Not just when we feel like it
Not only if we are on the same page
Not only if he responds to us right away
And yes, the Lord is serious…
Better to dwell in the wilderness,
Than with a contentious and angry woman. Proverbs 21:19
Our words matter. Our attitudes matter. And our hearts in how we approach conversations with our husbands – and others matter.
In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, But he who restrains his lips is wise.
Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones
And good news….. there are benefits to the why!
- Prayer in place of nagging strengthens your marriage. It allows you to speak into his life when necessary and has a positive impact. If your words are prayerfully seasoned with grace, they will often resonate more in his heart.
- It keeps your eyes on Christ. His will and His ways.
- It helps keep your heart right – breaking free from anger, bitterness and resentment taking root.
- It gives you endurance to battle the hard times in your marriages.
So how should we go about this?
5 Prayers to Take Action Without Nagging
- Pray for your heart– That He would remove bitterness, anger and control and create in you a soft heart.
- Pray for your husband– That he would have ears to hear what you are saying, a soft heart, and that God would move and speak to him directly.
- Pray for timing– Lord, please open my eyes and help me be sensitive to the timing of when I talk to my husband about these things. Help me to be respectful of what is going on with him, and to not “unload” whenever I feel like it, but instead, thoughtfully consider the timing.
- Pray for the words to say– Please give me the words to say that would be direct and yet kind and full of grace!
- Pray for help– Help me to be obedient to these things and please help me to remember that I can and should, call on you during the conversation!
Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints Ephesians 6:18
As I write I know I need even more of this!
God’s word alone is enough to convince us, but it wouldn’t be giving Him the Glory if I didn’t share just HOW MUCH this has made a difference in our marriage. From the big things in life to the small. Yes, at times I have prayed for weeks, months and years about things without change, but there have also been plenty of times where I just simply prayed. I seriously didn’t even open my mouth to my husband and he came to me with the exact thoughts I was praying!
So super awesome and encouraging!
So next time you are about to ask him about something for the 456,223 rd time, pause and pray. Invite the Lord in. Trust in Him to do the work for He can accomplish far greater than we can imagine!
If your like me and have what my sweet friend calls a “Flabby Brain” then I created this checklist just for you to help you remember 🙂 Tuck it in your bible or devotional and refer to it as needed!
Does this post have you thinking?
Have you slowed lately in praying for your husband?
Or maybe you never have really committed to praying for him because you don’t know what that looks like?
Let me encourage you to go for it!
I invite you to step up the commitment in praying for your husband and I have just the thing to help you. My friend Joanna from Mum Kids Jesus created this FREE 7 Days of Praying for your Husband ecourse. I recently completed it and it was wonderful. It gave me a fresh desire to pray for him in specific areas and ignited in me ideas of many more for the future!
So in a minute, hop on over to visit her and sign up for your FREE ecourse delivered right to your inbox!
Trust me, it will be worth it to spend that extra effort in praying for him!
Lastly, as I write this, I’m wondering which of these areas you struggle with the most?
Please email me or share in the comments below and I would be honored to pray for you!
Pass this along to your friends and loved ones. I would love to continue to see God work in this through marriages everywhere!
Talk to you soon,
O Lord, You have pleaded the case for my soul; You have redeemed my life.
* Please know that we only recommend websites and products that we personally know and love. Some of our posts may include affiliate links. This means if you choose to make a purchase, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission. We greatly appreciate your support of our business in this way. Thank you!